Proud member of the Oregon Trail Generation

As the name of my blog suggests, the library is my happy place. I love being surrounded by books and having the time to browse the shelves and find new resources. I can't see myself ever giving up print books. However, I also do a significant amount of information gathering online and am comfortable searching digital resources for the answers I need. It likely won't surprise you to know that I was born in 1977, the year that Riedling declares as the generational divide in our text, Reference Skills for the School Librarian. I have one foot in the print world and one foot in the digital world. I can remember using card catalogues and microfiches and I also use online databases and have been blogging for over a decade. I was amused when I read that my generation was dubbed the Oregon Trail Generation in a Social Media Week article by Anna Garvey

I can't be the only one who remembers playing this game in elementary school!

I'm comfortable using both print and digital reference works. I've changed my research methods as technology advanced. I feel that this has kept me flexible and willing to learn. I believe that if teacher librarians are going to nurture lifelong learners, they need to be lifelong learners themselves. I was happy to see that Riedling recognized the importance of teaching lifelong learning skills on page 6 of the text as I see the main goal of reference services as helping students be able to answer their own questions. Prior to this course, I wasn't familiar with the term "bibliographic instruction", but the fact that it is synonymous with reference instruction and that it is "an activity designed to teach students how to locate and use information in the library, as well as sources that exist beyond the physical boundaries of the school library" (Riedling, 2013) makes it clear. Bibliographic instruction should be a significant part of our job.

I am visiting family this week and thought I'd post a quick video of their library. My aunt worked as a librarian for many years and collected many reference works. Here is a quick look at an interesting example, "A First Dictionary of Cultural Literacy". It certainly fits the definition of a reference source in that it is "designed to be consulted for definite items of information rather than to be examined consecutively"(Riedling, 2013).


After creating this video, I did a little research (online) and found that there is a newer version of this book, entitled "A New First Dictionary of Cultural Literacy", that was published in 2008.

There's also a hefty copy of the Oxford English Dictionary in their library!

Works Cited

Garvey, Anna. “The Oregon Trail Generation: Life Before and After Mainstream Tech.” Social Media Week, 13 Oct. 2015, socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

Hirsch, E. D., Rowland, W. G., & Stanford, M. (1989). A First dictionary of cultural literacy: What our children need to know. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.


Hirsch, E.D., Rowland, William G., & Stanford, Michael. (2008). The New First Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: What Your Child Needs to Know. Paw Prints.

Riedling, A. M., Shake, L., & Houston, C. (2013). Reference skills for the school librarian: tools and tips. Santa Barbara: California.


Comments

  1. So I am 2 years younger than you, and I envy your ability to be so comfortable in the digital era. I feel very confident using email and searching the web, but the expanse of new technology that seems to continue to grow (particularly the stuff that I can't seem to wrap my head around) somewhat frightens me! What you say that you've changed your research methods as technology advanced, can you tell me what you did to change your perspectives?

    I also reflected in my blog about the nature of the ever changing and flexibility of the TL in continually learning new things, approaches and technologies. For me this is a new perspective I now need to embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflective blog that provided some very useful examples of older reference materials (and newer editions!). Your discussion of the digital divide is insightful and representative of many educators in our schools and districts now. Also, a 77'er, I think I benefit most from remembering how HARD it was to find good information. Card Catalogues, Inter-Library Loans, missing volumes, and lack of searchable indexes, made finding good information very difficult. Our digital world provides so many short-cuts and abilities to save time, get accurate information more quickly and to edit, adapt, and synthesize this information easily definies this new digital era. A good blog that is engaging, reflective and personalized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in the late 1980s and I still remember a time where google was not available yet. I think the first time I used google was when I was in grade 6. Before google, I would have to go to the public library and borrow stacks of books when I had school research assignments. Since it was not very convenient, it was more challenging to engage in learning that was not related to school. From grade 8 onward, I remember that learning was entirely different for me. Maybe it was because I was became better at locating and engaging with information as an older student, but I was able to learn about many more topics and concepts ones google was invented. Anytime I was curious about something, I was able to learn about the topic without leaving my room. One challenge that I we had when the internet became more prevalent was the the students and teachers had to deal with a lot more social issues like online bullying and arguments that happened online after school hours. The teachers at the time did not really know how to prevent or handle online bullying as the teachers did not have a lot of experience with Xanga and Myspace . Now I feel like teachers are better at teaching students how to use the internet effectually and safely because most of the teacher have had ample experience with the internet as well as with the social media apps that students use today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brainstorming - Future Vision Project Post #1 Design Considerations

Pronouncing Authors' Names aka How do you say Scieszka?

Libraries around the world - Inquiry Blog Post #4